Monday, March 7, 2011

Blog 8-REMIX

    The first quote I came across that caught my eye was “sometimes the best way to get an idea across is to simply tell a story” on page 80. I thought this was very interesting, because I feel like all songs have some type of story from them. Although country music is looked down on, on just being sad drunken hick stories, I feel that all songs have a message or a story being told. To convey feelings (which most artist tend to want to do) you have to have a background story. For instance, if I were to tell you this 25 year old women got mugged and shot, your first reaction would be “oh sad”. However, if I were to give you a background about her and how she took a cancer patient from the hospital  on her dream day trip to the zoo and was mugged and shot on their way home from not giving the mugger the child's gold necklace, it would convey a lot more feelings and horror. (I know horrible example all around).

    The second quote that caught my eye was “you can never play a record the same way for the same crowd” on page 113. I believed this to be very true in that no matter how much you love a song, there is always that point where you don’t want to hear it again. With remixes it gives your song a whole new beat and feel to it, making it almost like new again, or just a new fresh version of it, or even to some a whole new song.

As I was looking and listening around Who Sampled, I couldn’t seem to find just one song to fit with my quotes. I thought that the idea of all of them combined really related to my quotes. All the songs tell a story, with the remix versions it just bumps up the beat thus changing the meaning of the story the artists are telling (such as with Britney Spears and Aerosmith). As for its correlation to my second quote, it goes along with what I mentioned above with remixes. It gives the songs a whole new beat and feel to it, make it almost like a new shiny toy does.

3 comments:

  1. Ok job here, but it would've helped if you followed the prompt a bit more directly and also chosen a song to work with. The general comments are ok, just not specific enough. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the quote about how songs cannot be played and interpreted the same in different locations with different crowds. It would have been great to hear more about your thoughts on this subject especially in relation to remixes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice post. well written, good quote choices, overall not bad

    ReplyDelete