Sunday, January 16, 2011

Blog #1

Most Important Idea from the reading 

    With all the image recognition software that is being created and improved each year such as iphoto’s facial recognition, geotagging Flickr photos, and the Wikitude travel guide application for Android (just to name a few) it has lead to an “increasing richness of both sensor data and machine learning” that will “lead to new frontiers in creative expression and imaginative reconstruction of the world.”
    With my major of DTC, not knowing if I will go the route of graphic design, 3D modeling, animation, advertising, or web designing, this recognition software could lead our world to achieve things we never dreamed of. In the article it talked about Photosynth, Gigapixel photography, and infinite images which is what Google Maps is (on street view), creating a 3D experience from just a set of photos.
    I believe that with this technology, and the more it grows, improves, and becomes more amerced into our culture (such as in applications) it could change the way  3D animation and modeling is created, advertising on any type of medium, as well as a new way to design and view web sites. With my future giving me so many opportunities to explore various fields, this emerging technology could be used to my advantage to improve any one of those fields to create more interesting, futuristic, and creative designs.


Most exciting web application


    There are many types of application like Waze, which is a free mobile application for people to use on their phones that use live maps and give you real-time traffic updates. I believe that just the idea that we can find out at the tip of our fingers where traffic is bad, without having to experience it. It might not seem as much, but when you think about it, it can give you extra time in allowing you to know how much time it will take to get somewhere with traffic at the time (thus allowing people to save time in their busy lives). It also has a possibility of leading to less speeding and accidents in that people won’t be as late as much and not in such as hurry to get places or beat traffic.
    It may seem like a simple and not very important application, but it is very nice information to have at the tips of your fingers.

7 comments:

  1. The things that we are now able to do with images is really amazing; the seamless integration of different images into a new whole that they presented in Infinite Images was sort of mind-blowing. If you haven’t seen the demos for the newest version of Photoshop I really encourage you to check them out. You will never trust another picture again (but in good way! Maybe…). And aside from how interesting these new programs/methods are, it’s really interesting to think of the possible applications for them. I think that there is huge untapped potential for this stuff in a number of areas that people are only beginning to exploit. I think that all kinds of media could be revitalized with the new technology that we are now beginning to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sneaking suspicion that widespread up-to-the-minute traffic congestion data might actually worsen traffic congestion as people pile to the freeway exits to avoid the traffic jams that they're in the process of creating by trying to avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Waze but will definitely have to check it out. During the Summer I have to commute from Federal Way to Bellevue. I could see it being very convenient if while I was driving, know if I should take the freeway or the back roads. I also don't think it would worsen traffic based on the assumption that most people would check the app as they are leaving their parking garages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with that idea tom, unless they make new roads or alter the work schedule of the world to not clash with itself, this technology is probably only going to be a heads up to what we know is already inevitable at 5:00.
    Geotagging flickr photos as well as locations on facebook, may hinder privacy if people continue to use them. I would think this could easily lead to higher levels of crime as people would know where you are and when. This would lend itself to higher crime if in the hands of citizens who would try and harm you or steal from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google Earth and maps is probably the first web application that really blew me away. In a digital world you try to condition yourself to not think that anything is possible, but the first time I looked up my old place in Singapore I was shocked. It was the first time I have seen it in 13 years, it was awesome to see it. So for someone like myself who is constantly around technology this was an example of something that impressed me personally, which makes me think how something like email can effect my grandparents, or most recently getting my dad an iPod with thousands of his favorite songs. Each person can be impressed by technologies in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not that it was in the prompt, but I would've been a bit curious to hear more on what you think of the general trends of web squared (as they define it). Image recognition is definitely a part of it, a very intriguing part. I'm curious to see how image recognition begins playing more of a role in our technology use. I'm sure something beyond the expected will emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Application that show you maps and traffic are cool. I prefer the one that show you where the speed traps are. There are a few of the but they are not very reliable, mostly because cops move the speed traps all the time. I remember there was one app for blackberry that allowed users to summit the locations of the speed traps in real time. This user content app did not worked as well as it should have because (i think) people dont have time to tell us where the speed traps are when they are driving...

    ReplyDelete