Monday, January 24, 2011

Blog #2


Summary of Prologue- Chapter 2
            In the Book “Everything is Miscellaneous” I found a few key points from the prologue through chapter 2 that I believed to be noteworthy. It all was on the subject of organization which I found very interesting, because it was something I had never associated being effected by technology before. With the increase in technology, the more we are able to create, save, and store such as songs, pictures, projects, files etc. and with all this data we have to organize it for it to become useful to us. Some of the key points that I found in the article were that: we have to get rid of the idea that there is a best way to organize the world, we invest so much time in making sure our world isn’t miscellaneous in part because disorder is inefficient, it is best if things get assigned multiple places (key words), and that alphabetical doesn’t always work, especially with the amount of things we are able to store and multiple purposes we use them all for. With technology and the increase in information we save and work with, we are needing to come up with various different storing methods, and not just for personal usage, but worldwide. 

What I Keep Organized in My Life
            If you ask any of my friends they will tell you that I am very critical and anal about my DVD collection. I currently own 286 DVD’s and there seems to be no end in sight.  I have always kept them in a giant binder, (due to the individual DVD cases being too bulky and annoying) so that they are easy to take around with me. I originally just kept them in alphabetical order, but when I reached 150 I broke them up into genres, Comedy/Chick flick, Drama, Action/Sci Fi, and Animated. I chose this order because I usually pick a movie to watch based on which mood I am so I don’t have to sift through all of my DVD’s to just find the comedy ones for example.
However after living in a sorority and lending them out to many of my sisters they began to disappear, and I sometime never realized which ones went missing. I have since then become so anal that I have a list on my computer in the order they are in my binder (alphabetical in each genre) if one ever goes missing again.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice use of an example. As for the key points, you could've been a bit more detailed in your descriptions. Keep in mind that I write on the schedule what you should be paying attention to in the reading. These are usually a good hint as to the key points (and might help make your reading a bit more focused). For example, the orders of order are really important here.

    ReplyDelete