Monday, January 31, 2011

Blog #4


In the article “What is Web 2.0” it explains the new features and advancements we have made to the web by comparing it to Web 1.0. One thing that I was able to link between this article and the book “Everything is Miscellaneous” was on the subject of tagging. In web 1.0 we had only come up with the idea of directories (taxonomy). With all the advanced feature, websites, applications etc. we have advanced to a more useful and practical way of organizing these things with tagging.
                Web sites can literally go under several different topics, depending on how users are using the site and how it relates to them. With tagging, the user is able to create their own key words to search and locate the site again through all the sites they have tagged. The user is able to use multiple key words to tag each page, thus putting it under several different categories, unlike Web 1.0 was able to do with just their directories.

4 comments:

  1. The more and more our class is talking about tagging, the more I want to tag everything and use that as the way to store all my computer information! It really is the key concept of Web Squared and the wave of the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of "tagging" was something that I used to only think of as an aspect of Facebook. Clearly, I was a little behind. The tags I use for collegefashionista.com allow all of the writers to link their work together, but also allows for outside users to search a certain category and get multiple results. The concept of tagging is valuable, and time will tell how advanced this organization will get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely one of the big connections between the readings. I asked y'all to talk about connectionS though, so I would've been curious to hear a few more. I also think you could've pointed a bit more directly to the readings themselves (citations would help, for eg). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have finally began to see the advantages of tagging, especially on sites such as flikr. I look forward to seeing ho the tagging system evolves and will take full advantage of it while i can.

    ReplyDelete